Happy New Year!!
Okay, before everyone starts wondering if I am off my rocker, I recognize that it’s September, and the calendar year has not changed…but there is something so profound about September that makes it feel like a new year. September is about new perspectives, routines and beginnings. Students head back to school, teachers are back to work, summer holidays are over and there is a sense of fresh start. As much as summer is great, often relaxing and full of rest, I love the fall. I love the cooler air, the changing colours, the reminder that starting over, letting go, and change can be positive and life-giving.
I am eager for some upcoming programs that will begin this fall and others coming soon:
Tuesday Observations: Read. Explore. Engage.
Founded in 1829, The United Church Observer is the oldest continuously published magazine in North America and the second oldest in the English speaking world. Rev. Tom & myself, Rev. Hillary will be joining together on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 11 am to explore The United Church Observer and discuss issues of ethics, justice, culture, environment and faith.
- Tuesday, September 18 @ Deer Park UC
- Tuesday, October 16 @ St. Andrews Centre
- Tuesday, November 20 @ Deer Park UC
- Tuesday, December 17 @ St. Andrews Centre
Canyon Meadows Worship
Join us at Canyon Meadows Retirement Living, 12 Deerview Terrace SE, Calgary AB, T2J 7E6 on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 10:30 am for an opportunity to engage in worship and explore our faith in a multitude of ways. This worship is open to individuals who live in the complex and other members of the community that wish to attend.
- Advent Awakenings- let us journey through Advent together exploring various aspects of the Christmas story
- Brave Spaces- opportunity to gather, worship and break down the walls that divide us and protect us, as we explore topics that we are sometimes too afraid to discuss
Upcoming Worship Services:
- Sunday September 16, 2018 is Welcome Back Sunday followed by potluck lunch; Rev. Hillary preaching
- Sunday September 23, 2018 we explore the theme of servant leadership; Rev. Tom preaching
- Sunday September 30, 2018- Orange Shirt Day; a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013. It grew out of Phyllis Webstad’s story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually. All are encouraged to wear an Orange Shirt. Rev. Hillary peaching
- Sunday October 7, 2018, we celebrate Thanksgiving and World Wide Communion; Rev. Hillary preaching
We are so blessed to begin a new year together in ministry here at St. Andrews United Church. I look forward to worshipping, praying and being together in community with you!